Sunday, July 6, 2014

Meet the cast and crew of Seminar: Randall Brammer

Randall Brammer plays Douglas – the name-dropper extraordinaire and nephew of a somewhat famous playwright.

We asked Randall about his own personal experience as a writer or a student of writing.

1.       Have you ever written anything that you had published/presented? What was it? How was that experience for you? 

I first fell in love with language and writing in grade school participating in the Young Author's Conference back in Ohio. Young Author's Conference was a county wide meet-up of writer's from 1st to 8th grade. My submissions were poetry some years and fictional short stories other years. It was an incredible experience to be able to write and share with other writers. When I went to England for my Master's degree in Devised Performance, I wrote both academically (like I had never done before!) and scripts for performance. Writing academically was great when you got it set up the right way, but a pain up until then. Writing for performance was terrifying because I was constantly questioning myself and wondering if I was being effective. Both kinds of writing were rewarding and I'll get back to them someday soon.

2.       Have you ever taken a workshop/seminar/master class and had it turn into a nightmare? What did you learn?

Thankfully I have never had any workshops, seminars or master classes that I would classify as a nightmare. They were all related to acting in some form or capacity. There was an occasion once in an acting summer class I took in New York where I had to go opposite of this woman who hadn't learned her lines at all. It made for a lackluster scene to say the least.

3.       Who were/are your favorite writers? Why?

I love reading. As far as Non-fiction, I like Bill Bryson (author of A Walk in the Woods and Down Under) because of his ability to explain things in a funny way. As far as fiction goes, Jonathan Safran Foer (Everything Is Illuminated and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close) is great for writing very human books with hints of magic. You could almost call it Magical Realism. David Mitchell is a phenomenal writer. I've only read Cloud Atlas, but in it he transitions time periods and genres all in one book, hitting a certain point, and coming back to where he started. I highly recommend reading it. The first chapter's dense, but it's great after that. Walt Whitman is my favorite poet. A bit cliche, but I love his form. He also lays it all out for you. There isn't much in irony in his writing.

4.       If you could have any career, what would it be?

To be a travel writer would be amazing. I would want to go back and forth between writing for social and political reasons in developing countries, etc. and writing about obscure vacation destinations. 

5.       Dream project?

Creating weird theater with (fiance) Rebekah Boroughs and friends that's both funny and thought provoking. Somewhere in the realm of The Suitcase Royale and Little Bulb Theatre.

6.       Why might people know who you are? If you are recognized on the street, what is it usually for?

I was recognized once for being in the Clockwork Professor by Maggie Lee in the Seattle Costco. That was the most specific case. 

7.       Tell me one thing about you that people would find surprising.

 I have ridden live bulls; one of those times in a rodeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment