Thursday, July 31, 2014

Meet the cast and crew of Seminar: Charles Waxberg


 Charles Waxberg serves a variety of purposes in our Theatre 9/12 community: his is our mighty leader aka Artistic Director, he heads our Wednesday Actor Development workshop - doling out super smart advice, great big hugs and invaluable guidance, and he also served as Acting Coach for our latest production, Seminar.

We grilled Charles and his answers were simple and direct and humble and gracious; exactly what we expected them to be.



1.       Have you ever written anything that you had published/presented? What was it? How was that experience for you?



My book on script analysis (The Actor's Script: Script Analysis for Performers) was published in '98.  It's currently in its 14th printing.  When asked if this was the first book I wrote, I answered "it's my last."



2.       Have you ever taken a workshop/seminar/master class and had it turn into a nightmare? What did you learn?



I learned that ego is the most destructive thing to art and talent.



3.       Who were/are your favorite writers?



My favorite writers are playwrights: Edward Albee (The Zoo Story; ‎The Sandbox; The Goat, or Who Is Sylvia?), Harold Pinter (The Birthday Party; ‎Betrayal; ‎The Homecoming), George Bernard Shaw (Pygmalion; Mrs. Warren's Profession; ‎Arms and The Man), and Tennessee Williams (The Glass Menagerie; A Streetcar Named Desire; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof) to name a few.



4.       If you could have any career, what would it be?



I have been blessed to make my entire adult living in theatre--acting, teaching, directing, writing--and if I could not live in art, you'd have to bury me.



5.       Dream project?



To own a theatre and school with free tuition and housing for actors.  Alas...the inconsequential question of money.



6.       Why might people know who you are? If you are recognized on the street, what is it usually for?



In restaurants, servers often think I'm Anthony Bourdain (of Kitchen Confidential fame) and I'm treated VERY nicely.



7.       Tell me one thing about you that people would find surprising.



That I'm a terrorist behind the wheel of a car. (I avoid driving...)

No comments:

Post a Comment